Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 2015 Roundup By Stephen Suminguit Muppet versions of Satoru Iwata, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Reggie Fils-Aime decorated the Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 2015. The whimsical intro was soon followed by a rapid succession of games coming 2015 and 2016. Star Fox Zero starred in the event. A Wii U element of the game allows players to aim through cockpit view using the Wii U gamepad. Other features of the game include the transformation of the Arwing to Land Master and to Gyro Wing.
Miyamoto explained that Star Fox Zero was inspired by cinematic elements and that the game’s ship navigation was inspired by the experience of walking through arches akin to traditional Japanese architecture. Transformation was the event’s big theme citing Nintendo’s moves towards a universal theme park and the new NX platform coming 2016.
Fils–Aime explained that transformation is the secret to Nintendo franchises and hinted at how Mario has transformed over 30 years much like how the character transformed platform games. Nintendo continues to push amiibo saying that there are more amiibo on the way with more games for them to inhabit.
One game is Skylanders Superchargers introduced by Karthic Bala from Vicarious Visions. Bala talked about Turbocharged Donkey Kong and Hammer Slam Bowser exclusive to the Nintedo version of the game. Bala said both characters have complete move sets and skill trees inspired by their lore. The Donkey Kong and Bowser figures can be twisted to be compatible for both Skylanders and amiibo connectivity. The event also introduced two new Zelda titles for the 3DS. First is The Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes retains the 3D aesthetic of A Link Between Worlds with heavy emphasis on teamwork. The game uses a totem mechanic for three characters to overcome obstacles. The game encourages players to collect different clothes each granting different abilities. The game’s story features different players are each claiming to be the hero. For single player, there are two supporting doll-like characters.
There’s a 3DS reimagining of Second is Hyrule Warriors Legends which is a 3DS reimagining of last year’s Hyrule Warriors. The game includes all previous DLC with the addition of Wind Waker characters. Metroid made a presence after years of E3 absence with 3DS first-person shooter,Metroid Prime Federation Force available 2016 including Metroid Prime Blast Ball. More footage of Xenoblade Chronicles X was showed off now with the release date of December 4th of this year.
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer was followed by footage of Animal Crossing amiibo Festival for the Wii U which appears to be inspired by board game mechanics. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash smashes its way to the Wii U this holiday with the added ability to enlarge characters a la the Mario franchise. Lastly, Super Mario Maker, coming out this September 11th, was a recurring theme throughout the event. Mario now has Costume Mario wherein Mario takes the form of a tapped amiibo upon grabbing the mystery mushroom. The game also comes with an 8-Bit amiibo and a Super Mario Booklet with sample courses. Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 2015 finished with a montage of fans playing different iterations of Super Mario theme songs. Nintendo encourages fans to upload their own Super Mario themed videos to Let’s Super Mario. Proceeds go to Operation Smile, a charity that supports children with cleft lip and cleft palate. Noticeably absent was The Legend of Zelda for Wii U but was quickly explained that Eiji Aonuma couldn’t be at E3 because he was “busy working on his game.” Nintendo Tree House Live @ E3 immediately followed with gameplay of Star Fox Zero.
For more live streaming at Nintendo tree House Live @ E3, visit: http://e3.nintendo.com
Games featured in Nintendo Digital Event @ E3 2015:
• Star Fox Zero – Holiday 2015
• Skylanders Superchargers – 2015
• The Legend of Zelda Triforce Heroes – Q4 2015
• Hyrule Warriors Legends – Q1 2016
• Fire Emblem Fates – 2016
• Metroid Prime Federation Force w/ Metroid Prime Blast Ball – 2016
• Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem – 2016
• Xenoblade Chronicles X – 04/12/15
• Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer -2015
• Animal Crossing amiibo Festival – Holiday 2015
• Yoshi’s Wooly World – 25/06/15
• Yo-Kai Watch – Holiday 2015
• Mario and Luigi Paper Jam – 2016
• Mario Tennis Ultra Smash – Holiday 2015
• Super Mario Maker – 11/09/15 [Photo captions]
• 1 – Muppet Reggie Fils-Aime hosts the Nintendo Digital Event
• 2 – The Star Fox Zero logo was inspired by Japanese Kanji art
• 3 – Wind Waker characters come to your rescue in Hyrule Warriors Legends
• 4 – Metroid Prime Blast Ball is included in Metroid Prime Federation Force
• 5 – Animal Crossing amiibo Festival looks to have some board game elements
• 6 – It’s Papercraft Mario rampages into Mario and Luigi Paper Jam